16 August 2009

Live Forever.

Oasis. Literally one of the most influential bands to ever grace our planet. And for anyone that was a part of the 90's Brit-Pop scene, surely one of the greatest bands of all time. They are timeless. No matter how much I listen to the Mancunian oufit I still have yet to decide which is my favourite song. It quite simply has been an impossible task for the last 12 years. The helicopter whirling at the start of "(What's the Story) Morning Glory", the unbelievable thumping drumbeat and whispered  "Oh yeah" of "Live Forever", Supersonic's quite incredible vocal performance by Liam, the energy of "Fuckin' in the Bushes" and of course the lyrically magnificent "Wonderwall", even if no-one knows what one is. The list goes on. "Rock 'N' Roll Star", "Roll with it" and "Slide Away". I have been lucky enough to see the band twice, both times in Manchester, quite honestly I wouldn't pay to see them anywhere else. The first time was in 2003 at the Lancashire Cricket Ground, the Gallagher Brothers saw to the fact that the location of the concert on the tickets should in way show a relation to any football clubs, such is their loyalty to the Blue Moon. The second time was the 7th June this year at Heaton Park along with 70,000 other fans. It was unreal. It was in Noel's words "A celebration of Manchester". This band has come to symbolise the pride felt in the city which I say I live in - Manchester, The UK's 2nd city. And I don't care if you're a Londoner, a Brummy or a Scouser. Come up here and tell me that this city does not excel in culture, character and soul where any bigger city falls flat on its face. Birmingham is a great city, I love spending time there, but after living there for a year, I still believe Manchester has the edge. 

For me Oasis sum up the Mancunian attitude towards itself and life. Not-giving-a-fuck, immense self pride, and a sense of community which the city engulfs and reverberates, which was certainly applicable at the concert. 

"Maybe I just wanna fly, Wanna live, but don't wanna die" 

And what on Earth is a Champagne Supernova? Who cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment