1 November 2009

The Times They Are A-Changin'

The title of this post is eponymous with Bob Dylan's famous song, and pretty much sums up what he sings about in it as well as my life; times are changin'. Lately a lot of things have started to change, not least my music taste. Angry and volatile playlists have been replaced with more mellow and sober ones. Rage Against the Machine and Rise Against, for whom it should be noted I'll always love, have been outplayed by The Smiths and The Cure recently. I'm discovering these band's lyrical genial and sensitivity. I'm falling in love with Robert Smith's insecurity and Morrissey's shyness. I'm also listening to Lennon and Dylan excessively, and discovering the beauty of a fantastic songwriter and artist with just a guitar for support. The Velvet Underground, Neil Young, Johnny Cash. Just what is going on? I was also aware of these bands, but never had taken the time to listen before. One of my favourite lines from Dylan's song is

"Don't criticise what you can't understand".

I have no idea why this is relevant to this blog, but I like the line all the same, and therefore it is certainly worth mentioning. It is very true, how can you make a judgement on things, if you have no scope of understanding? I'm not just talking about music. I guess I used to be cynical about alot of things, but like The Smiths and The Cure, until you really discover things for yourself what all the hype is about, you can never truly understand them. But we all get there in the end, thankfully.


No comments:

Post a Comment