21 June 2010

"And all you can do is just wait by the moon, and bleed if it's what she says..."

2 years ago, nearly to the day, I boarded a flight from Nadi, Fiji, a place which few people have knowledge of, to Los Angeles, USA, a city which undoubtedly a great deal more people have heard of.

Our plan for California was to somehow visit Los Angeles, San Diego, Lake Tahoe, Santa Cruz and two weeks later fly out of San Francisco. Whether this was by car, bus or train none of us knew. We landed to LA, possibly the most unfriendly backpacker city ever, at 2pm with no accommodation. Nevertheless we managed to find a hostel within a reasonable walking distance from Boulevards Sunset and Hollywood. We decided to rent a car and drive down to San Diego and stay with my family just outside the city in Escondido, then drive 10 hours North to Lake Tahoe, before finally driving down the I-80, over the Oakland Bay Bridge to San Francisco. We were greeted on our arrival by a fantastic panoramic view of the silhouetted skyline and Golden Gate Bridge, set against the perfect backdrop of a California sunset. Yet again we had no accommodation and no agenda.


These were probably the happiest two weeks of my life. A car, my four best mates, no agenda, endless roads and freedom. No-one can ever take away from me. I have since then changed, but I will come back. I will be that happy again.

The world can't change who I am or how I feel. Deep down, no-one ever really changes. Thanks for the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment