9 September 2009

One Month Only

Once every four years for a month or so, a number of football teams each representing a nation assemble in a pre-appointed host country and play some games of football. For one month goals will be scored, heroes will be written into folklore, villians will be spited hereon and forever after, tears will be shed for joy, for misery, pundits will analyse, fans will over-analyse, column inches will be read and re-read and most of all the world will stop. For one month every four years, the world and all that it is takes a backseat, in place of it, a simple game involving two teams, two goals and most importantly a ball takes centre stage. The FIFA World Cup, the showpiece of humanity and the greatest event in the history of mankind. For anyone reading this and thinking I'm being ironically sarcastic, please don't.

192 nations in qualification. 32 at the finals. 64 games. 8 groups. 1 winner.

Football is more than a game and The World Cup is more than a tournament. Football has the ability to united nations, united the world, through a common ground. The beauty of the beautiful game lies within its simplicity. One method of scoring, one instrument, one goal. I cannot explain how much joy I gain from this sporting extravaganza. I love football every season, and I love my club, but The World Cup is something different and unique. There is nothing quite like it. For me there is nothing more exciting, anticipated or superlative in my life. The chance for my country to prove itself undisputedly as the best in the world. I look forward to this the day after England get knocked out of the previous tournament. And for a month every four years, there is literally nothing else to watch, think about or consider in my life. June 2010 is a write off. I've watched England at 3 previous World Cups, I've believed we can win everyone, but just this time is different. Maybe. Maybe we will. It sends shivers down my spine and tears to my eyes to think of Owen scoring against Brazil in 2002 and throwing it away, or the pain of defeat to Argentina in '98 or Portugal in '06. Even memories from before I can remember anything hurt. Brazil in '70, Maradona in '86, West Germany in '90. You've got to believe. 11th June Johannesburg, South Africa. The World Cup Final.

No comments:

Post a Comment